We seek people that are positive, passionate and dedicated to designing, implementing and demonstrating solutions for a sustainable future. Our current team consists of a variety of working professionals, interns and volunteers with a wide range of experience.
Kusamala Institute of Agriculture and Ecology (Kusamala) is a local, non-governmental organization that promotes household-level permaculture and agroecology systems in Malawi. Founded in 2009, Kusamala houses Malawi’s largest permaculture demonstration site, Nature’s Gift Permaculture Centre. Through the Centre’s demonstrations, Kusamala educates individuals and communities on how to improve nutrition, income generation, and environmental health. Through grants and programs, Kusamala conducts outreach, research, and advocacy with the aim to show the viability of permaculture as a local and national agricultural strategy. In a country where approximately 80% of the population are subsistence farmers, Kusamala demonstrates how local resources can meet human needs while improving quality of life both for people and the environment.
We are currently seeking a Trainer/Consultant to be based at our head Office in Lilongwe with regular travel to districts where training or consultancies are required.
The overall responsibility of this position will be to plan, coordinate and conduct trainings and consultancies within Kusamala’s training and consultancy department.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
● Identifying training and consultancy needs through consultations with potential partners.
● Producing or adapting training materials
● Designing and facilitating training programs.
● Producing budgets for the training department
● Planning and scheduling trainings and consultancies in the areas of permaculture and agroecology.
● Production of training and consultancy reports
● Providing technical advice on permaculture and agroecology to our clients.
● Developing effective staff induction programs
● Monitoring and reviewing the progress of training ad consultancy beneficiaries.
● Amending and revising training programs as necessary, in order to adapt to changes occurring in the sector
The ideal candidate will have:
● Extensive experience in training of both staff and communities.
● Experience in production of relevant training materials.
● A BSc in Permaculture, Agriculture, Environment, Forestry or other relevant field
A Permaculture Design Certificate
● At least ten years, experience in training and consultancy work.
● Willingness to work with different communities and cultures.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Chichewa, other languages are an advantage.
● Have knowledge of or experience with permaculture, agroecology, agroforestry, tree nursery management, or climate smart agriculture techniques.
● Excellent time management and organizational skills and a Valid driver’s license
Interested candidates should submit their letter of interest and CV by 27th November 2017 to:
Attn: Trainer / Consultant
Kusamala occasionally offers residential internships for qualified, motivated candidates based on our project specific needs and the learning goals of the individual. While we do not currently have any intern openings, if you have a specific project you would like to propose, please feel free to contact us.
Kusamala would like to partner with academic institutions, both nationally and from abroad, to conduct research into various aspects of permaculture and agroecology.
If you or your organization are interested in partnering for research purposes please contact us.
Currently we are only seeking volunteers who have specific projects that align with our organizational needs. We are not accepting general volunteers at this time. If you have a volunteer project you would like to propose, please contact us.